Date(s) - Sat 16 Oct 2021
10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Back by popular demand, this LivePlus™ online workshop is ideal for absolute beginners and those who have used silver clay before.
Join fine jeweller Melanie Blaikie to create this perfect festive heirloom – a real holly leaf preserved in fine silver. Working with silver clay, you will select the perfect leaf, prepare it and then carefully paint it with liquid silver before adding the fittings and the glass ‘berries’.
We’ll work step by step through easy stages including how to fire and finish your leaf at home. As the finishing touch, Melanie can arrange for your leaf to be hallmarked with the date and quality mark of fine silver (.999) plus the historic leopard’s head of the London Assay Office.
To book your place click here
Specific skills you will learn at the workshop
- What is silver clay?
- Preparing the silver
- Choosing the perfect leaf
- ‘Painting’ with fine silver
- Firing the silver at home – don’t worry it’s quick and easy!
- Burnishing & polishing
- Finishing to a professional standard
- A potted history of British hallmarking – if we have time!
Equipment & materials list
Materials are not included in the course fee. All the materials and equipment you will need are listed below.
For ease and time saving, Melanie has created a project kit which accompanies this workshop. Kits cost £37.00, plus P&P, and include hallmarking for your leaf at the London Assay Office. Details of how to order will be provided after booking and it is possible to order extra materials should you wish to make more than one leaf.
Each kit will include:
- 10g Silver Clay Paste
- Large fine silver eyelet (NB, if you are sourcing your own materials please do not purchase Sterling Silver)
- Firing block (to use with chef’s / kitchen blowtorch) OR metal mesh (for firing over a gas hob)
Please advise when ordering which you require. If you’re not sure, do ask, Melanie is very happy to advise.
- 3 red glass beads
- 3 head pins
- 2 jump rings (if sourcing your own, choose silver or silver coloured)
- 30cm of narrow ribbon
YOU WILL ALSO NEED (not included in the project kit)
- Small work surface – a playing card is ideal
- Wooden coffee stirrer stick
- Stiff wire brush (a suede brush)
- Crochet hook or agate burnisher
You will not be working along in real time with the live demonstration (the demo session is a time to watch, ask and learn) however, you may wish to have your kit to hand so that you can familiarise yourself with the materials. After the demo you will be sent a link to the recording, which you can watch as many times as you wish for thirty days.
Links to suppliers
If you wish to source your own materials, you will need to purchase everything mentioned in the materials list section above. We would recommend www.cooksongold.com for the silver clay, fine silver eyelet, and firing block. The beads and jump rings can be purchased from most beading / jewellery supply websites e.g. www.the-beadshop.co.uk